April is Be a Donor Month.
According to BeADonor.ca, one donor can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and enhance the lives of up to 75 more through the gift of tissue.
We know that organ donation greatly impacts our cystic fibrosis community, not only do many CF individuals undergo lung transplants; some also receive liver and other organ transplants.
On our blog and social media, we will be sharing stories, resources, and news around transplants for the month of April.
To get us started, here are some links you may be interested in:
- To begin, here is a primer on lung transplants for Cystic Fibrosis.
- According to our most recent registry report, 33 CF patients received transplants in 2014.
- If you or someone you know is currently in the decision making process regarding a transplant, this decision aid is a great resource
- In case you missed it, Canadian CFer Melissa underwent a groundbreaking surgery this past year where she survived without lungs for 6 days while awaiting her transplant: http://on.thestar.com/2k3v9Vm
- A higher proportion of Canadians receiving lung transplants was attributed to one of the factors of our higher survival age when compared to the United States. Read the full story here.
Finally, find out how to register as an organ donor in your province here.