Candidates for double lung or heart-lung transplantation are referred to the transplant program by their CF clinic director or physician. This referral is based on a number of criteria as determined by the individual’s health care providers, and the transplant team. In Canada, there are five institutions with lung transplant programs for people with CF. The centres that provide lung transplant services are located in Edmonton, Alberta; Vancouver, British Columbia; Winnipeg, Manitoba; Toronto, Ontario; and Montreal, Quebec.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada provides funding to these transplant centres through our Transplant Centre Incentive Grants. Part of this funding is intended to support the availability of a social worker at these transplant centres, to help CF patients find resources relevant to their transplantation process. We recommend patients eligible for transplant get in touch with their centres’ social worker as early as possible to get a sense of the resources that are available to them and to seek guidance on how to access said resources early on.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada also has an Information Requests and Referrals Service to help you find the resources you are looking for. This includes government and/or community-based resources relevant to your needs throughout your transplantation journey. We understand that it can sometimes be challenging not knowing where to go, how to start, or who to turn to for information. We are here to help you navigate the various programs, services and/or supports that may help you and your loved ones alleviate the financial burden of transportation or relocation. Whether you are in your pre-transplant, during transplant or post-transplant stages, we look forward to assisting you.
Here are some of the useful resources we can provide
- Lung Transplantation and Cystic Fibrosis Guide
- Lung Transplant Foundation
- Research study on lung transplant survival rates and CF
- A guide to lung transplant for families and support people
- Canadian Lung Association
- Canadian Society of Transplantation
- Canadian Transplant Association
Please contact us for information about any of the following resources and/or more.
How to make an information request?
- Contact us by email: email@example.com or give us a call at 1-800-378-2233 ext. 403.
- Please make “info request” your subject line.
- In order to better assist you, please be as detailed as possible about your inquiry and include your city/province.