The avocado has become a pretty trendy food as of late, and for good reason: it’s very good for you. It’s high in monounsaturated fat (which is the healthy kind), vitamins K, B6, E and C along with minerals and fibre. A diet that is high in healthy fats is important for everyone, but especially for people living with cystic fibrosis (CF). A single cup of avocado contains 22 grams of fat and 2.5 grams of omega-6 fatty acids, which plays a crucial role in brain function and development.
WHEN TO USE IT
It can be tricky to know when an avocado is ripe. If your avocado is green and rock solid, it isn’t ready to be eaten. Let it sit at room temperature for a few days until it changes colour; usually to a black or deep purple and becomes softer to the touch – there are a few handy tricks listed here to help you know when an avocado is ripe. If you don’t want to use it the day that it ripens, stick it in the refrigerator; it’ll keep in its current state for a couple days.
HOW TO USE IT
Guacamole is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of an avocado. It’s easy to make (mash a skinned and pitted avocado with salt, pepper and lime juice), goes with just about anything from salads to burgers, and is a great snack with crackers and chips. However, the avocado is so much more versatile than just guacamole; you can also slice an avocado and use it to top sandwiches or pizza or use it in any of the below recipes:
OUR FAVOURITE RECIPES
We’ve scoured the web for high-fat, nutritious recipes that include avocado. Here are some of our favourites:
- Creamy Baja Chili Lime Chicken and Avocado Pasta
- Unbelievably healthy Skinny Creamy Avocado Pasta spiced with the flavors of Baja, textured with fresh sweet corn, bell peppers and pepitas and topped with the option of tender, moist easy Chili Lime Chicken all on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- Baked Avocado Fries
- Crispy oven-baked avocado fries with cilantro lime dipping sauce!
- Shrimp Taco Salad
- This fully-loaded Mexi-Cali meal has it all, from grilled shrimp to avocado to fresh corn from the cob.
- CF Green Smoothie
- This creamy, delicious green smoothie is high in nutrients, fruits, greens, and healthy fats to keep you running longer and feeling better with a refreshing, fruity dessert-like taste. Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and omit the honey for vegan!
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- This recipe will make six small tupperware servings of approximately 100g each, which are perfect for school lunches! When frozen, it makes a delicious and healthy ice cream alternative.