A child starting school can be a challenging time for parents, but adding cystic fibrosis (CF) to the mix can make it even more so. CF shouldn’t keep your child from benefiting fully from school, but we’re conscious that it does present additional challenges that can contribute to the already stressful transition.
We’re excited to share our brand new school toolkit designed to help parents anticipate and resolve some of the challenges CF might present at school. Working directly with parents, teachers and professionals in our community, we’ve created something for parents and students to use across Canada to help ensure school is as stress-free as possible.
Our school toolkit
The toolkit outlines concerns and challenges that may come up when your child starts school, such as:
- Dietary concerns
- Managing infection control
- How to manage your relationship with the school
- Answers to common questions like, “Can I catch CF?,” and “How does CF affect daily life?”
The toolkit includes several resources to help you and your child when they start school, including:
- A guide for parents which covers the concerns and challenges mentioned above
- Checklists to help ensure your child has everything they need for the day
- A letter template to give to teachers to explain CF
- A link to a video to help explain CF to your child’s classmates
You can find the toolkit by clicking here. To go further in depth and answer any of your questions about the kit, we will be hosting a live stream on Facebook on August 24 with Tammy Strong and her daughters Mikayla and Madison, who are living with CF.
– Norma Beauchamp, CEO