One of the things people with cystic fibrosis (CF) should be particularly careful about is influenza, better known as the flu. As flu season approaches, here are some friendly reminders on how to stay healthy:
- Immunization: Talk to your CF clinic about any immunizations they may recommend, such as an annual flu shot.
- Infection control: Avoid face-to-face contact with others who have cystic fibrosis and stay away from those with a respiratory illness such a cold or flu.
- Hand hygiene: The best way to prevent the spread of germs (bacteria and viruses) and prevent infections is to remove or kill harmful bacteria by washing your hands frequently. Studies have shown time and time again the best way to prevent the exchange of germs is by washing your hands frequently, using the proper technique.
- Cough hygiene: Proper cough hygiene is crucial to prevent the spread of germs. Be sure to:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then place in waste basket
- If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve
- After sneezing, wash your hands
- Take care of yourself: Getting a good night’s rest, staying hydrated, maintaining your diet and being active will all help ensure you stay healthy.