Help get access to #TrikaftaToday
Our cystic fibrosis (CF) miracle drug, Trikafta, is finally approved by Health Canada. This means that doctors can now prescribe it to patients. But access is unfortunately not that simple. Trikafta is not accessible to those who need it until it is funded by provincial drug plans.
Trikafta continues to move through Canada’s drug review and reimbursement system. Recently, health technology assessment (HTA) body, CADTH, released a draft recommendation to list Trikafta on public drug plans with overly restrictive pricing and clinical conditions. Health technology assessments are also anticipated from INESSS and BC Pharmacare in the coming weeks.
If adopted by the provinces, this recommended listing criteria will negatively impact access to Trikafta for more than 25% of the eligible CF community in Canada.
This cannot happen. Trikafta is the greatest innovation in CF treatment history and the closest thing countless Canadians with cystic fibrosis have to a cure – those who can benefit from it must have access now.
The silver lining of the situation is that health technology assessment recommendations, like CADTH’s are non-binding. This means provinces can choose to cover the drug now for anyone indicated by Health Canada. It is critical we focus our efforts on them and urge provincial decision makers to do the right thing.
Tell your province to fund #TrikaftaToday for all who can benefit from it.
Not on Twitter?
You can still get involved on your social media platform of choice. Share this message on your social media channel and tag your Minister of Health.
[Tag your Minister of Health] now is the time to help people living with CF in your province. Fund cystic fibrosis miracle drug #TrikaftaToday for all who can benefit #cfcantwait
Provincial Health Ministers
Alberta - Tyler Shandro
British Columbia - Adrian Dix
Manitoba - Audrey Gordon
New Brunswick - Dorothy Shepard
Newfoundland and Labrador - Dr. John Haggie
Nova Scotia - Michelle Thompson
Ontario - Christine Elliott
Prince Edward Island - Ernie Hudson
Quebec - Christian Dube
Saskatchewan - Paul Merriman
HOW YOU CAN HELP ACCESS #TRIKAFTATODAY
- Raise your voice and share a video on Social Media
The power of compelling, heartfelt videos to influence government decisions makers should not be underestimated. Make a short video to share your story and tell decision makers what access to Trikafta would mean to you and why no one should be left behind. Share it on social media using the hashtag #TrikaftaToday and tag your Premier and Minister of Health.
- Help pressure politicians by contacting your Local News Media
Reach out to your local news media. Use our media toolkit for all the tips and tricks for a successful pitch. You can also share our press release. We've made it easy for you. The media toolkit also covers on how to share your story and influence decision makers today.
- Amplify CF Content
Like! Comment! Share! When you see a news article or social post about CF or access to Trikafta , make sure you engage with it. Tag your provincial elected officials and use #TrikaftaToday. The more engagement a piece of content gets, the more likely it is to be seen by key media or government decision makers.
- Sign the #cfcantwait petition
Join over 30,000 other Canadians calling on provinces to fund Trikafta now for all who need it
- Send a Tweet to your Minister of Health
Raise your voice and help us apply pressure on key provincial decision makers to fund #TrikaftaToday. Share these articles on your social media channels and tag your minister of health and premier.
Got media coverage? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
English news articles:
- Local family hopeful after Health Canada approves drug that treats common cause of cystic fibrosis - CBC Edmonton
- The fight for a life-changing drug: Getting Trikafta approved in Alberta - CTV Edmonton
- Like so may other Canadians, this St. John's boy with CF is still waiting on a miracle - The Telegram
- 'A price on your life': Toronto cystic fibrosis patients slam review process while waiting for access to life-saving treatment – CTV Toronto
- New drug gives West Kelowna woman with cystic fibrosis a future – Kelowna News
- Life changing treatment for cystic fibrosis – CTV Atlantic
- Fort Erie family holds out hope for ‘Rolls-Royce’ of CF treatments – Fort Erie Post
- Woman’s life was changed by new cystic fibrosis medication - Port Colborne Leader
- Cystic fibrosis patients upset over recommended restrictive criteria for life-saving drug – Braford Today
- 'Like turning back the clock': Windsor dad with cystic fibrosis among patients seeking access to new therapy – CBC.ca
- ‘Holding onto life’: Cystic fibrosis patients in Ontario await access to life-saving drug approved Friday - CTV Toronto
- Cystic fibrosis life-altering drug nearing patient access across the country: Health Canada – Globalnews.ca
- Tottenham mom hopeful with new drug approval for cystic fibrosis – CTV Barrie
- Cystic Fibrosis Treatment in Spotlight - Winnipeg Free Press
- Families Want Access to Cystic Fibrosis Treatment - CTV Winnipeg