Trikafta Can't Wait
Together we are stronger and Cystic Fibrosis Canada is asking the cystic fibrosis (CF) community to once again, raise your voices to get access to the breakthrough drug Trikafta. At this time, we are asking the community to send a letter to the PMPRB echoing our collective concerns.
- Step One: Download our letter template
- Step Two: personalize it
- Step Three: send to: PMPRB.Consultations.CEPMB@pmprb-cepmb.gc.ca
- Step Four: copy email@example.com on your email so we can keep track of how many letters are sent
The Canadian drug approval process is onerous and slow, and many Canadians living with CF can’t wait for access to Trikafta.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada invites the cystic fibrosis community to join us as we call upon various stakeholders in the Canadian drug approval process to fast track Trikafta and ensure access to this breakthrough drug for the Canadians who need it now. #CFcantwait
DELAYS HOLDING UP ACCESS TO TRIKAFTA
The Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB) has proposed regulatory guidelines that are impacting access to life-changing CF medicines, especially the break-through drug Trikafta.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada’s position on the newly amended PMPRB guidelines is that there are some provisions that could enable access to Trikafta, however the guidelines are still troubling as they go too far. The first section, changing the basket of comparator countries, does the job of reducing prices. Any additional changes will undermine access to innovative medications and need to stop. Cystic Fibrosis Canada submitted a response to the revised draft guidelines on July 28, 2020.
For more information on the proposed changes to the PMPRB and the impact these changes are having on access to life-changing medicines in Canada, like Trikafta, please visit our PMPRB page.
JOIN Cystic fibrosis CANADA IN CALLING ON THE PMPRB TO GET IT RIGHT
Cystic Fibrosis Canada is asking the CF community to join us and take action to help Canadians living with cystic fibrosis get access to the break-through drug, Trikafta. Download our letter template so that we can collectively ensure the PMPRB hears our feedback before their stakeholder consultation period ends on August 4th 2020. With every letter sent, our collective voice will get stronger.
Our recommendations aim to bring Trikafta to Canada now and ensure access to life-changing CF drugs into the future.
Send a letter to the PMPRB and tell them that you support Cystic Fibrosis Canada’s recommendations outlined in the written submission and urge the PMPRB to implement them. Call on the PMPRB to:
- Take a phased approach to implementation which begins with the changes to the comparator countries. All other changes to further reduce prices should be put on hold until the impact of implementing phase one and until the impact of the new economic criteria is evaluated by an independent third party.
- Remove barriers in the guidelines to accessing Trikafta by amending the Health Canada approval deadline for Gap Medicines to an application deadline.
- Appoint an independent third party to evaluate the impact of application of the comparator countries and of the revised economic criteria on the availability of medicines in Canada, specifically to inform whether, when and how to implement the use of the new economic criteria for innovative, precision and other high cost medicines.
- Immediately establish a formal mechanism for meaningfully and continuously engaging patient representatives in its drug decision-making processes to ensure patient voice, choice and representation.
Stay tuned over the next few weeks for more actions including an outreach campaign to MPs as we keep relentlessly pushing to get Trikafta to Canada now. Because #CFcantwait!
Watch the recording of Cystic Fibrosis Canada's live Q&A session held on July 30th, 2020 discussing the changes to the PMPRB and what our position is on these changes.