Newborn Resource Kits
Cystic Fibrosis Canada’s Newborn Resource Kits aim to support families during the initial time of diagnosis, which many families report to be very stressful and overwhelming.
The kits are composed of educational reading materials and practical tools to help families feel more confident in caring for their child. It is Cystic Fibrosis Canada’s hope that the kits are informative, that they alleviate some uncertainties and assist with the stress of finding specific items that are required during the first couple months of a newborn’s life. The Newborn Resource Kits introduce and connect families to Cystic Fibrosis Canada and affirms that they are not alone.
The initiative of Cystic Fibrosis Canada’s Newborn Resource Kits began through the efforts of Helen Meinzinger, a CF parent, whose son, Kaiden was diagnosed with CF in 2009. Helen wanted to do something to assist other newly diagnosed CF families, so she created Kaiden’s Care Kits. The kits were distributed to families in Ottawa and won a grand prize in the 2012 Aviva Community Fund competition. Following this, Helen partnered with Cystic Fibrosis Canada to assemble and distribute these kits to all newly diagnosed families across Canada, and this initiative has continued to today.
Some items in the kits include (items may vary year to year):
- Cooler bag, lunch bag and ice pack – to help transport food and enzymes when on the road or going to clinic
- Soft-tip spoons – to assist with giving a child enzymes
- Plastic containers and nesting jars – to carry apple sauce, enzymes, and snacks
- Oral syringes – to measure out liquid medication
- Hand sanitizer – to protect from germs and infections
- Medical masks – to protect from germs and infections
- Palm cup percussors – to assist with chest physiotherapy
- Parenting Children with Health Issues – a book written by a mother of 2 children with cystic fibrosis
- CF-related resources – variety of resources about cystic fibrosis, infection prevention and control guidelines, a nutrition guide, informative websites and information about Cystic Fibrosis Canada and the local Chapters
Cystic Fibrosis Canada would like to thank Mylan for being a Sponsor of the Newborn Resource Kits, as well as, CARSTAR and Johnson & Johnson for donating products to the kits.