Curious how volunteering for a few hours can directly fund cystic fibrosis (CF) clinics, research grants and the registry?Read More
About Our Research
About CF Canada’s Research Programs
Investing in research has helped us go further in the fight against cystic fibrosis and has led to outstanding progress.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada funded researchers:
- Discovered the gene responsible for cystic fibrosis, opening the door to targeting the cause of the disease rather than its symptoms
- Developed revolutionary diets that were adopted globally and solved malnutrition in cystic fibrosis
- Purified the CFTR protein, improving our understanding of its structure and function, and leading to the development of KALYDECO™
- Created the world’s first device to repair donor lungs, improving transplant outcomes
- Identified a novel approach to treating bacterial infections that was adopted as a best practice in clinical care
Research continues to be a driving force behind helping people with cystic fibrosis live longer, healthier lives. That is why we believe in innovation. Over the past 60 years, CF Canada has invested over $271 million in research and healthcare, and we continue to invest in cutting-edge research today.
Through CF Canada’s 2021 Grants & Awards competition, we are investing a further $2.1 million to fund researchers across Canada who are focused on research that aligns closely to our CF Community’s health priorities. To read more about the research we are funding, visit our What We're Funding page.