Join us for a special film screening fundraising event showing of Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist in support of Cystic Fibrosis Canada!Read More
About Our Research
Investing in the best research has led to outstanding progress in the fight against cystic fibrosis. Our researchers have:
- Discovered the gene responsible for cystic fibrosis, opening the door to targeting the cause of the disease rather than its symptoms
- Developed revolutionary diets that were adopted globally and solved malnutrition in cystic fibrosis
- Purified the CFTR protein, improving our understanding of its structure and function, and leading to the development of KALYDECO™
- Created the world’s first device to repair donor lungs, improving transplant outcomes
- Identified a novel approach to treating bacterial infections that was adopted as a best practice in clinical care
Today, 50 percent of Canadians with cystic fibrosis are expected to live into their early 50s and beyond, and 60 percent of all people with cystic fibrosis in Canada are adults. In the 1960s, most children did not live long enough to attend kindergarten.
In 2019 – 2020, Cystic Fibrosis Canada has committed $4.1 million to support leading-edge research, including 40 research projects, 19 fellowship and studentship training awards, two national core facilities, and targeted research programs and partnerships aimed at advancing CF knowledge, developing future CF researchers, and achieving excellence in the quality of care for CF patients.