Bowl with us to cure cystic fibrosis!Read More
About Our Research
Investing in the best research has led to outstanding progress in the fight against cystic fibrosis. Our researchers have:
- Discovered the gene responsible for cystic fibrosis, opening the door to targeting the cause of the disease rather than its symptoms
- Developed revolutionary diets that were adopted globally and solved malnutrition in cystic fibrosis
- Purified the CFTR protein, improving our understanding of its structure and function, and leading to the development of KALYDECO™
- Created the world’s first device to repair donor lungs, improving transplant outcomes
- Identified a novel approach to treating bacterial infections that was adopted as a best practice in clinical care
Today, 50 percent of Canadians with cystic fibrosis are expected to live into their early 50s and beyond, and 60 percent of all people with cystic fibrosis in Canada are adults. In the 1960s, most children did not live long enough to attend kindergarten.
In 2018 – 2019, Cystic Fibrosis Canada is funding $5.2 million in leading-edge research, supporting 45 research projects, 27 fellowship and studentship training awards, two national core facilities, and targeted research programs and partnerships aimed at advancing CF knowledge and achieving excellence in the quality of care for CF patients.